Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Wall Groupings.

It's alot harder to hang a group of pictures on the wall than you'd think.
I suggest a roll of painters tape, a ruler, a pencil, hammer, nails, spare hands, and maybe a level, paper cut to the sizes of your picture frames, and a wall.

First play around with your ideas of arrangements, on the floor.
Second, tape your paper frames on your wall, make sure you measure the gaps in between the frames, these spaces are what helps the whole collage to become visually fluid, and appealing.

I like to put painters tape along the top of my paper frame and find the middle, mark it with the pencil, remove paper frame and nail to the top edge of the tape. You can take the tape off after you do a test run. Hang your pictures up there, check them out, do they line up? Does the shape catch your attention? Did you choose the right frames to showcase each photo?

WHEN you're happy with your arrangement you can take the tape off. I usually keep the paper frames on the walls for a few days to see if it looks right when I go through my daily routine. Sounds strange, but if it's not right, it will distract and annoy me and I'll end up with three times as many holes in my plaster walls.



See how the tops of each frame aren't lined up?
You may think "Ooo how eclectic" But that will drive you nuts, I promise.
Take the extra time to hang your pictures properly and it makes the world of difference.

ps- IF you have plaster walls... ask your boyfriend to help you with the hammer-ing/drilling or you may end up with a throbbing purple thumb.

No comments:

Post a Comment